Sunday, August 22, 2010

I'd like advice from men who have had a vasectomy please?

My husband is considering getting one, but is concerned about how it will affect his ';manhood';. What has your experience been?I'd like advice from men who have had a vasectomy please?
Depending on what his definition of ';manhood'; is it should have no affect. That does not mean that it is completely risk free though.





I can only answer for myself as you read that some men have had no problems whatsoever and are happy. I on the other hand have had nothing but misery for the past 9 months. The procedure itself wasn't too bad except for when the numbing agent wore off half way through and it felt like he was ripping my stomach out through my scrotum.





Healing was no big deal I really didn't even use the pain meds he gave me. Eight days later I decided to try it out and was alarmed to find that at the point of ejaculation I lost all sensation. None of the fireworks or sense of release and relaxation afterward. Something still absent 9 months later. I did however develop a new sensation, pain, mostly a nuisance as it is always present and sometimes disabling where I cannot get out of bed. I just had surgery on my testicles this past Friday in an effort to stop it and now have to wait to see if the original pain is gone or just temporarily being masked by this new pain from the surgery. Oh yea I forgot I also ended up with painful prostate problems and low testosterone right afterward (all at age 38). It does work as birth control however as I really don't crave sex anymore and my wife is afraid to touch me for fear of hurting me.





It is not as rare as doctors lead you to believe





Look here





http://www.revolutionhealth.com/forums/m鈥?/a>I'd like advice from men who have had a vasectomy please?
For about 85% of men, vasectomy causes no long term problems.





For about 15% of men, it causes chronic pain. Most of the folks who post here are in the 85% with no problems or have spoken to men in that group.





If you want to know the real deal read this article: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrend鈥?/a>





Here is an excerpt from a paper I wrote that summarizes the data on this issue:





Post-Vasectomy Pain Syndrome (PVPS) refers to a variety of distressing and painful symptoms that can develop after vasectomy. These include pain or dull ache in the epididymides or testes, discomfort with sexual intercourse or after vigorous activity, and pain during or after ejaculation. The incidence of PVPS in post-vasectomy surveys varies widely but symptoms persist longer than 3 months in 15-20% of men and can become chronic. The available studies indicate that 1-5% of men are severely affected and report pain during sex or pain affecting quality of life. Conservative measures such as scrotal support, heat or cold therapy, and anti-inflammatory medications help in mild cases. Surgical treatment for cases failing conservative management has included conversion to open vasectomy, microsurgical denervation of the spermatic cord, vasovasostomy, epididymectomy, and inguinal orchiectomy. Vasovasostomy (vasectomy reversal) is an effective intervention in up to 85% of persistent cases. Informed consent for vasectomy should include a discussion of PVPS so that the patient and their partner are prepared for this outcome, as PVPS is the most common vasectomy outcome affecting quality of life.
My husband had a vasectomy so I will attempt to answer as best I can. His genitals look the same as they did before. His penis can still get just as erect as before. He can still please me sexually as he did before and he says it feels the same. His ejaculate has no noticeable difference, however microscopically there is a small difference as there is no sperm.





For us, him having a vasectomy has been a wonderful thing. I got off hormonal birth control and we don't have to use condoms anymore. So when ever the mood strikes us we can have sex without worry of potential impregnation. I would say, also, that after the vasectomy his sex drive went up...at least I think so. (and I don't mind one bit)
Tell him to relax. He'll still be able to perform, so long as he goes to a doctor for this, and doesn't try to do it himself.





Here's what my experience was like. The doctor will probably ask him to shave himself before the procedure. When the day comes, he'll lay flat on his back, and the doctor will probably tape his willy down to keep it out of the way. He'll get a local anesthetic, and 30-60 minutes later, be sent on his way.





A couple of recommendations: First - he should plan on several days of reduced/no activity. If he works Monday-Fridays, schedule the surgery for a Thursday morning when the kids will be in school on Thursday and Friday. He can probably drive himself home - I did. He shouldn't plan on climbing up and down flights of stairs unless he really needs to, or shoveling snow, doing any heavy lifting, etc. Depending on how he's feeling, he can probably go back to work on the following Monday.





Second - something cold that he can use to control swelling will be useful. My doctor said use a bag of frozen peas, and just refreeze it as needed. Other cold packs may work better. Just be sure he doesn't throw the peas back in the freezer and forget them, OK?





He'll need to go back to the doctor now and again, and bring in samples, until they find that he's not producing any more wigglers. Until then, he can still father a child, so use protection. And the more opportunities he has to flush out wigglers, the sooner it will be when you won't need any more birth control. It's up to you two to work it out, but this could be your opportunity to help him along with the process.
I had one and then a few years later I had it reversed. It was pretty painless and had absolutely no negative effects on my manhood or sex drive. I was still able to ejaculate but not sperm, only semen but my orgasms were just as intense as before. Maybe he should talk to the doctor for reassurance.
A vasectomy makes absolutely no noticeable difference whatever. Performance is the same and the consistency and amount of semen is the same. Tell him there is nothing to worry about.
After the initial recovery period, 100% positive. No effect on the 'manhood'. If anything it improved our love life.
It will have no effect at all. I had mine over 20 yeas ago. It did not hurt. I do not even have a scar.





I never even had children. Now I am 42, and happier than ever about it.
well, it doesn't have any effect on his manhood. He'll still shoot semen; there just won't be any sperm mixed in with it.
i had one 3 yrs ago...still works well here =).....sucks he will have to wait atleast 1 week to get a release. But it still feels the same
No change at all. I had the surgery 11 years ago.
  • cosmetics
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment